Spring is sprung and it is time to fling open the windows and get the fresh air into our homes. With the sun streaming in the windows we start to see the last effects of the winter season. Dirty windows, dust particles dancing on sunbeams, our homes start to look a little tired. The energy of our home can feel stagnant as well.
Our grocery list starts to grow in leaps and bounds as we start adding cleaning products. There will be the window cleaners, floor cleaners, bathroom cleaners, oven cleaners, bleach for the mildew in the grout, fragrant dryer sheets to make the bedding smell as good as the outdoors, on and on and on......
It soon becomes a toxic soup of cleaning chemicals, each one with a fresh scent and the promise of a shiny germ free home. We breathe in deeply of those clean smells as we finish our cleaning projects. Our floors wiped down with the handy spray and mop systems with the disposable sheets. Hmmmm kinda makes you wonder if all the fresh scent is worth it!
Let me share a true story with you about how dangerous these products can be to unsuspecting members of our family. A couple of years ago a very distraught neighbour came running over as I got out of my car. She had just come from a vet visit with her very precious cat. A few hours earlier the cat started to froth at the mouth and run through the house sneezing and madly licking it's lips trying to remove something. The owner scooped her up and hurried to the emergency vet clinic. They felt that perhaps the cat had come in contact with a hazardous chemical. How distressing! This was an indoor cat, how could this happen?
My curious mind starting wanting to connect the dots. I asked, "where was the cat before it starting having the episode?" It was sitting on the edge of the bathtub watching my neighbour apply her makeup. Any cat owners know that when a cat watches you they promptly start to groom themselves, just to let you know they are bored!
'Had you been cleaning in the bathroom?" "No it had been cleaned a couple of days earlier." She had sprayed down the walls after a shower. Bingo! I told her that was probably the cause of the hazardous chemical. She was horrified! Even though the shower had been used there was still residue on the tub and the cat ingested it when it starting licking it's paw.
The little cat was ok now but it was a scary incident for sure. I went home and promptly made a cleaning kit for my neighbour and her fur baby.
I would like to share this green cleaning recipe Ebook for scrubbing down sinks, tubs and even the grout in the shower stalls. It washes clean and there are no harmful products to be concerned with. Even though it is green I still make sure I rinse the surfaces clean.
Take a look around your home and your cleaning products, would you feel safe swishing some in a cup just wiping it dry and then drinking some water out of it? No, I do not think you would and you would not expect pets or small children to be exposed to hazardous chemicals being left behind on surfaces either.
Isn't it time to stop cleaning with a toxic soup mixture when there are perfectly safe and natural ingredients found in your kitchen pantry.